Consensus of available staff, donors, and builders seems to before a map reset happening tonight. We will try to import the Event and PVP maps and I am going to try to schematic the stuff at spawn, and some highly valued builds in progress. Yes ,catbox, that does include the castle.
Last year, we started the current map. We got it setup quickly, and we thought we had left ID issues behind us. What we didnt know was that CPW had screwed up the ID assigning algorithm. New Opals Plus blocks were being assigned the same IDs as many vanilla items. A few months later, they released an updated Forge that would automatically correct the issue. We rejoiced and eagerly updated as soon as we could. We then realized, that the "fix" reassigned vanilla items, not the other way around. I restored the map from a backup and complained about the issue to the Forge devs. Someone lower down on the totem pole basically told me I was stupid, and didnt know what I was talking about. 3-4 weeks later, CPW saw my posts and said that I was actually right, and the issue would be fixed. At this point, as I said, a few weeks had passed, and we'd gone through with the update using the screwed up version. There was no going back. I have looked into every possible way to fix the issue, and I basically found that there are no ways to really fix it. I decided we could try to work around the issue, but now it is clear that we cannot. WorldEdit, WorldGuard, ChopTree, Chestshop, Essentials, DailyBonus, LWC, mcMMO, and Smelter are some of the plugins that we have that currently are not capable of doing everything they are supposed to because of this issue. There are countless other plugins we have passed over because of this issue. There remains only one way to get these plugins working correctly for us again.
A new map is the only possible fix. The old map will stay on the server box, and I will download a copy of it and the plugin folder. Anything that is needed we will be able to get copied if we need to. The only issue that remains is that people will lose their current pets and items. We will be able to setup a compensation program, like 10,000 in game currency to cover some of the loss. In all, I dont think its that bad of a trade off. I know what some people will say. What about 1.8? We have no hard facts on where we'd actually be able to go to 1.8. It is looking like we will definitely have to wait for Sponge, and then we will have to wait for the plugins to comeout for it. It might be the middle of summer. It might be a year from now. We just don't know, and we can't sit on our thumbs hoping that a bunch of ifs and maybes pan out.
I am trying to work out a timeline for doing this. I really want to get it done as soon as possible, so it might be next week. Or I could do it tomorrow to get it over with. It depends on what feedback I get. The plain truth is, it will be soon.